Morgan Books & ePublishing technically launched back in March – but we were kind of quiet about exactly what we were offering and we were taking our time to find our groove.
Our goal has always been to help authors in the best way possible. But the publishing industry is a bit fickle and wary – and rightly so. So many authors have been burned and it’s just wrong.
Ultimately, we want to offer authors full, traditional style representation of their books. Especially new authors. But we know we need to walk before we run.
We have no track record, no history, no backlist – why would an author trust us? Why should they?
So we’ve been watching, joining conversations, listening. Over the last few months we have come to understand that there are a few areas that authors struggle with the most.
- Solid editing
- Formatting (and other technical areas)
- Marketing and promotion
These are all areas that our team has a wide variety of experience in both with books and from other sectors of business.
We also know that authors are hesitant about services they need to pay for and companies that charge fees. Which is understandable, to a point.
So here’s a few key points we considered:
- We are not a vanity press
- We are not offering any “publishing” services at this point
- We have families and bills and are unable to work for free
- We want to offer full representation based on a royalty based commission, but no one knows who we are
So what we decided to do, is start out offering paid services for a few select and key areas that authors typically need the most help with.
So here’s a few key points for you to consider:
- If you want someone to edit and correct the errors in your book for free, you need to find family and friends who are willing and hope that they are detail oriented, with the necessary skills and knowledge.
- Professionally editing a book takes a certain amount of time, effort, knowledge and skill. We are able to do this for you, but unless we’re representing an author with the potential for future compensation for that time and skill through royalties, we can’t do it for free.
- If you want your book formatted properly for print and/or digital formats, also for free, then you either need to learn the skills yourself or again, find willing and knowledgeable family and friends.
- Having this skill and knowledge means that it is something we’ve learned. It’s taken time, practice and money and now, we’ve got it! Again, in a traditional, representation structure this would obviously be included. However, as an à la carte structure, there has to be a fee attached for this ability and time.
- If you want a website and social media accounts, you can absolutely set these up yourself, again for free or turn to family and friends for help. If you don’t know how to do any of this, you have the choice of taking the time to learn it or hire someone to do it.
- We have years and years of hands on experience with clients in this particular area. For us, this isn’t a difficult component – because we have thousands of hours of practice and experience with doing it. But there was a cost to gain that knowledge and experience and doing the work still takes time – this isn’t an automated, push a button and poof it’s magically created, type of thing. So again, if you need someone to do this for you, it’s something you’re going to have to pay for.
As mentioned, ultimately, we would love to complete all of these tasks with no out of pocket expenses to authors. But we can’t do them for free and we’ve got some work ahead of us to gain the trust and credibility in the industry for authors to put their faith into us representing their books.
As such, we’re starting out with a few, select services, that we charge a fee for – in the capacity of freelancers and we’ll take it from there.
As a show of good faith, the first 10 clients to book our editorial services will be given a 50% discount.
We’re happy to complete a small sample section in advance of being hired so that you can see the quality of our work.
We only accept 50% of the payment upfront on all of our services, the remaining 50% of the balance is payable upon satisfactory completion of the job.
We can provide links and samples of work completed by us on request.
Send us an email, give us a chance – we want you to believe in us as much as we believe in you!